Thursday, September 07, 2006

'Bones' Ripped from the Headlines! Plus 'Justice' and 'House's' Big Debut

OK, so I liked the new boss on Bones in the premiere. And I liked the way she and Bones seemed to work through their issues about each other and began to get along. It appears that they have taken a big step backward this week. I'm not one for catfights and female rivalries on TV shows because it's all a little too cliche for my liking, so I'm hoping that these two professional, intelligent ladies can work through it. Of course we all know that there's more to it than just the fact that Bones doesn't like Camille because she's the boss of her. The real issue lies in the implication that Camille and Booth have a past and Bones secretly harbors feelings for the FBI agent. So perhaps, working things out isn't quite so easy. Anyway, the Lacy Peterson-esque case was interesting last night (didn't you love the fact that they even had a similar last name - Richardson). Probably because Scott Peterson has forever tainted me, I automatically assumed the husband was guilty. Turns out, he was guilty of plenty, but not murdering his wife and unborn son. I kind of liked the fact that he didn't lose his son since that sick baby- murdering- mother killed his wife and stole the baby out of her womb after shaking her own to death. How sick was she! And all of this coincided with Booth learning that his son was spending a lot of time with Booth's ex's new boyfriend, which needless to say, made Booth unhappy. He claimed it had to do with the guy being a complete stranger, but the truth was, he was afraid of being replaced. And then there was Bones' insistence that she doesn't want to find someone and start a family, an assertion that we all saw through except for her. Although, I think that even she saw through it at the end as she watched Booth with his son.

The Verdict on 'Justice' Still Good
Some shows have excellent pilots and then it all goes down hill while others have so-so pilots and then unveil excellent episodes in the weeks after. I wasn't sure if Justice would fall in the former category, so I proceeded with caution last night as I sat down for the second episode, but you know what? It was good! It was on par with its premiere, and I was happy. I'm learning something about myself, though. I assume everyone is guilty until proven otherwise. I was so sure that the husband was guilty in the pilot and I thought the same thing about Lily Kane (Amanda Seyfried will always be the murdered Lily Kane on Veronica Mars to me). In both cases, though, I would have voted Not Guilty, had I been on the jury, because there was enough reasonable doubt. The ending bit where they revealed what really happened once again caused me to get goose bumps. Am I the only one who has some sort of emotional response to these ending scenes? I can't figure out how the show is managing to do this, but they are and they're doing it very well. The truth was a little murky last night. I don't think that she intentionally set out to kill him, but it did seem like she knew what she was doing when she picked up the knife. Of course, the guy was beating the crap out of her and it's very reasonable that she would have feared for her life, so self defense seems fair to me. It's a good thing that the truth about the money didn't come out. That was a big mistake.

Premiering Tonight!!
Til Death - Brad Garrett and Joely Fisher star as a married couple in this new sitcom about the difference between newlyweds and long-married couples. Fox 8 p.m.

Happy Hour - A man loses his girlfriend, apartment and job in a break-up in this new sitcom on Fox (8:30 p.m.).


QUICK CUTS

*And finally, Fox's House is celebrating today after opening to huge numbers Tuesday night. The medical drama opened its second season to an average of more than 18 million viewers. The series easily dominated the hour, more than doubling its next closest competition (CBS' Big Brother). The good showing also gave a boost to new drama Stand Off, which debuted with more than 13.5 million viewers and also winning its timeslot. House airs Tuesday nights on Fox, followed by Standoff.

To get more of today's biggest TV news and headlines, visit the TV News section at PassTheRemote.Net.

That's all for today. Be sure to tune in tomorrow for thoughts on CBS' new legal drama Shark starring James Woods. Plus, Friday Fun: Summer Style and all the latest television news!


To get more television coverage, including the network's new fall schedules and a complete archive of the best of Pass the Remote with a photo gallery featuring pictures from the set of Veronica Mars, click on over to PassTheRemote.net.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid to say that I didn't see any of those shows last night. Justice does sound like a good one. Not surprised about House's numbers. It's quite popular.