Sunday, September 24, 2006

'Case' Opened on Another Season

Well, that was disturbing. And yet in my opinion, the best season premiere in Cold Case's 4-year history. And why does Beaver (Veronica Mars' Kyle Gallner) always have to take out a bunch of people? Poor Beav, he just can't catch a break. Whenever this show deviates from the case-of-the-week and gives us good personal stuff on one of the detectives (usually Lilly), it tends to give the case the cold shoulder. I'll notice that the case drags a bit and I'm not so interested in who killed the victim and why because the personal stuff is more engaging. Amazingly, writer Veena Sud (who just took over the showrunning reins at CC) managed to keep me highly invested in both the case and Lilly's new relationship (more on that later). I'll admit that in the beginning of the episode, I was a little shaky with the case. Of course this might have been due to the fact there was no audio on the dialogue for the entire opening segment of the HD broadcast. At first, I thought it was only my local station, but I flipped to another local CBS and they were having the same problems. Luckily, my TiVo isn't in HD, so I was able to rewind the episode and watch the opening during the commercial break before I switched it back to HD. And this is reason #5,401 why I love my TiVo. Regardless of the audio issues, I still wasn't completely into the case. It just seemed like a bunch of angry teens ganging up on each other. But, things took a deeply emotional tone very quickly. Whether it was Tina's messed up idea that sleeping with the boys she liked would make them like her or her gang rape or pretty much every other flashback in this episode, there was a solemn undertone that crescendo-ed with the deeply disturbing rampage scene at the end. There were people running for their lives as others fell to the ground in a pool of blood, screaming, deafening gun shots, and of course, that feeling deep in the pit of your stomach as you watched the two shooters take their own lives. I'm just not sure that image is going to escape my mind anytime soon. After all, the shooters (as messed up as they may have been) were only kids as well.


Luckily, it wasn't all doom and gloom in this episode thanks to the sweet Lilly and Joseph moments that sort of lent a slight balance to it all. Kathryn Morris brought an adorable edge to our hard-nosed detective. She was more vulnerable, yet still in charge, and her relationship didn't keep her from doing her job. She's still Lilly, but a Lilly that knows how to joke and be silly because she has someone in her life who allows her to open up more than we're used to seeing on this show. She seems to have struck a balance, and I'll be curious to see if it continues. Stillman's "Ice King" act (yes, Lilly is not the only one who is the master of the cold shoulder) was harsh. I know Lil deserves it, and honestly, she's taking it like a champ, but can we all say uncomfortable! The ending scene was nice because it showed that despite her screw-up, he does still care about her like he always did. When she wanted to talk Tina out of shooting herself, he told her that if Tina so much as raised her gun, he was sending SWAT in. By the way, it was nice to see Lil talking someone out of suicide again. She hadn't done that in a while, and it's good to see that she hasn't lost her touch (although, I was sure Tina was going to do it). So, it seems Cold Case is off to its strongest start yet. Let's hope it's a sign of things to come this season.

What did you think about the 4th season premiere? Were you as enthralled and disturbed as I was? Was Kathryn Morris not adorable in this episode? Leave me a comment with your thoughts.


Get even more of your TV fix at PassTheRemote.net! A comprehensive television site with news, reviews, photos and much more!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a very distrubing episode. The emotional effect is unbelievable. I am still thinking about the story/scenes after 8, 9 hours?!

When I saw Beav in the beginning of the episode, I was liked, "cool! It's Beav!" ...then when he started killing people, I was liked, "ah...again?!" ...haha!

Anyways, it was a great episode. Eventhough it was really distribing, it was powerful.

p.s. Kathryn Morris is adorable!

Anonymous said...

I was a bit skeptical at the beginning of the episode that the young actors could pull off such a powerful performance. Thanks for that bit of info on Kyle, TVFan! I also see at IMDB.com that he's from Philly.... Go Kyle! You were one *creepy* dude! I see that Tina in both 1995 and 2006 was the same actress, Jeanette Brox. She was fantastic!

Anonymous said...

Beave was up to his old tricks on CC last night. He sure is good at playing a bad ass! The other two actors were from Judging Amy. So it was like a reunion for me seeing those three in these new roles. It definitely was a powerful episode.

Anonymous said...

Well Written episode!! I'm really happy that Lilly is with Joseph. He seems to be a really caring guy. Kathryn Morris did a fantastic job in a lot of scenes!

Magnolia said...

Poor Beaver, I mean Cassidy. He just can't catch a break. But he sure does play "psycho troubled teen" very well. I hope he's not getting typecast.

(At least his role on Big Love appears to be more of the "normal guy" but now I'm going to be looking for red flags that he's going to go postal on the polygamists. ;))

Anonymous said...

I felt this episode was a very strong start for season 4. I was unhappy with the quality of just about every episode in season 3 and it's nice to see that Veena has a clue what this show is about. It was a great collaborative effort for the season and I'm so glad there's no more bringing in someone new.