Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Girls got it Right Again

Photo courtesy of TheCW.com


Last night’s premiere of the 7th season of Gilmore Girls was excellent! Even with Sherman-Palladino leaving and Rosenthal as the new head writer, Girls didn’t miss a beat! The dialogue was quick-witted and the characters unchanged. I loved every minute of it! The only hiccup I saw was that Rory was shown waking up when, if you remember from the finale, she was already awake and seeing Logan off (but let’s cut Rosenthal some slack and say she went back to bed). Lorelei woke up rather early to go back home, when again, during the finale we saw Christopher see Gigi off to school. But other than that one small inconsistency everything ran smoothly last night.
The only thing that wasn't so great last night were the ratings;
From mediaweek.com:

In season-premiere news, the CW’s Gilmore Girls opened on a below average note with a 4.0/ 6 in the overnights (#4), 4.56 million viewers (#4) and a 2.0/ 6 among adults 18-49 (#5) at 8 p.m. Compared to its year-ago opener on the WB (Overnights: 5.3/ 8; Viewers: 6.22 million; A18-49: 2.8/ 8 on Sept. 13, 2005), that was a decrease of 26 percent in the overnights, 1.66 million viewers and 29 percent among adults 18-49. Worth noting for Gilmore Girls, however, was a third-place finish in the time period among women 18-34 (3.5/10).


This is probably due to House being on at the same time, and we all should know by now that House, even though this addict doesn't care for the show at all, is a VERY popular show. But enough about business and doom and gloom, let's talk about Stars Hollow, shall we!?

Rory headed back to Stars Hollow for the summer, Lorelei finalized her break up with Luke and tried to understand her night with Christopher. Christopher thought that because of that fateful night he and Lorelei had taken their relationship to a new level, but after inviting Lorelei over for dinner and her rejecting him he realized that their relationship might be unchanged. Rory tried to find the meaning of the two foot tall rocket that Logan had left with her (it turned out to be a reference from his favorite ‘Twilight Zone’ episode) and both The Girls tried their hand at racquet ball (which in itself was one of the funnier scenes from last night).
We ended with Luke driving to Lorelei’s house and pouring his soul out to her and asking her to elope with him (he had things all planned and the truck was packed! How sweet!). Lorelei tried to stop him, to no avail, then blurted out “I slept with Christopher last night.” to which Luke replied by turning around and getting into his truck and driving off. It was rough to watch that final scene from last night, but the previews for next week kept me from bawling my eyes out.

All in all it was a great premiere! Rosenthal did a great job with his first script and I’m happy to say that I still love Gilmore Girls and even though it’s sad to see Sherman-Palladino gone, you really can’t tell, at least not from last night’s episode. Next week’s previews showed us a little more of what Rosenthal has on his mind for the residents of Stars Hollow. Luke makes a comment to Lorelei that is nothing short of condescending and almost rude (“You’re the one who asked me to marry you!”), which in my opinion, shows the difference between a woman writer and a male’s perspective on the relationships and characters. I have to say that I don’t believe that line would have been written with Sherman-Palladino on the job, but that is just an assumption on my part. I think Luke has always been written as a timid man with a big heart, and a short fuse with strangers, but a ton of compassion for those he knows and cares about. So, that line sort of took me off guard, but I want to see the whole episode before making any more rash judgments!
And can I just say it was so nice to see Paris back and acting as over-the-top as ever! I’ve missed Paris and hope we get to see more of her! And hopefully we'll get some more of Lane and her new marriage!

2 comments:

TVFan said...

That racquet ball scene was true GG comic gold! I love the way they decided to play sports to keep them from talking, but then sat and talked the entire time.

I also loved the red light camera. Poor Luke and his diner. I knew as soon as Lorelei told Luke about Chris, it was the end of any eloping plans.

The rocket cracked me up as well.

Anonymous said...

One thing I noticed about last night's season premier was that Emily and Richard were not on there. I don't think that would have been the case if Sherman-Palladino was still on board. I really missed them. They add alot to the show.The verdict is still out for me on whether it's going to be as good without Sherman-Palladino.